7 Great Portable Bluetooth Speakers
Introduction – Buying a Portable Bluetooth Speakers
- 1 Introduction – Buying a Portable Bluetooth Speakers
- 2 Top recommended Portable Bluetooth Speakers
- 2.1 Marshall Stockwell
- 2.2 FUGOO Tough XL
- 2.3 Bang & Olufsen Beoplay P6
- 2.4 Bongo – Otis & Eleanor
- 2.5 OontZ Angle 3 Ultra
- 2.6 Altec Lansing IMW678
- 2.7 TP-Link Speaker
There are a lot of portable Bluetooth speakers available in the market currently, and with the crazy number of features that are now packed into these tiny devices, it can be quite daunting to pick one. They now come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, each embellished with a distinct set of functions.
To make an informed purchase, it is necessary to look at all the features a particular brand is offering and decide whichever product suits your needs best. Before looking at various speakers for their features and trying to figure out what you want, let us take a look at the standard features of any Bluetooth speaker.
Standard Features of a Bluetooth Speaker
Any Bluetooth device is known for its portability, and a speaker is no different. A good Bluetooth speaker will be very easy to carry from place to place, unlike your Wi-Fi house systems. You should be able to use it in your room just for one person and be able to take it to a gathering of friends to have a nice time. Thus, the speaker should be small enough to be taken anywhere easily.
This feature is quite a plus for people who have recently moved from Wi-Fi speakers to Bluetooth ones. A built-in speakerphone is a very useful and convenient feature for a speaker to have. Not only does it allow for a conversation among large groups of people, but it allows it to be hands-free and might even be the only way to improve the quality of a call.
When looking at Bluetooth speakers, it is suggested that you look at the accessibility of the speaker phone. Is it simple to operate? How loud can it get?
Working While on Charge
A decent Bluetooth speaker should be perfectly capable of blasting your favorite tunes while on charge, which can be done by plugging it into a laptop, tablet or power outlet. This makes it especially appealing to those who are travelling for long distances and want to enjoy music without a worry.
There are some functions that, although not as common, are equally appealing to a wide range of customers. These include app control, remote control and regular updates to improve overall speaker performance.
Who Should Use It?
If you value aesthetics in your speakers, you can’t go wrong with the Marshall Stockwell.
The features of the Stockwell include a long battery life of twenty-five hours, which can be recharged multiple times as it is made from lithium oxide. It also features 4.0 Bluetooth technology and a call button that can decline, answer and end phone calls. It is also fit with a charging port to use while you are on the road for an extended period of time.
Each Stockwell speaker has its very own serial number that is used to keep track of the product. Thus, it is scanned in when taken for delivery and must be scanned out to ensure that it reached the customer. The Stockwell can also be bought with a case.
- For most users, the Stockwell was able to maintain a strong Bluetooth connection with the paired device through varying distances.
- Its battery is made from lithium oxide, giving the product a higher energy density when compared to those without a li-ion cell battery. Customers have reviewed that they were even able to charge their phones off the speakers.
- People have found the Stockwell to be a very appealing addition to their bedrooms and lounges as it has a vintage touch. The case is also a smart addition.
- Some said that the sound quality of the Stockwell could have been much better given the cost of the product.
- There have been a number of complaints about battery issues with regard to the power outlet. A few have had to keep it plugged into a power source for it to work, which affects the overall portability of the speakers.
- For customers in Australia, the Stockwell unfortunately does not come with an appropriate power adaptor, which has been inconvenient for customers. Hence, if you are living in Australia, bad news for you!
Who Should Use It?
These speakers are perfect for anyone wishing for durability along with incredible sound quality.
This particular product is well-received as it is 100% waterproof, dust/mud-proof and shock-proof. It comes with a 35-hour battery life and a portable power bank to facilitate charging anywhere. It offers 360-degree sound that comes with an intricate system of radiators, tweeters and drivers along with the CORE-X and a sound pressure level of 97 db. Moreover, it supports both Apple’s Siri and Android’s Google and has a duplex speakerphone.
- This product has been highly regarded as the best companion to take with you to the beach or pool because of its proofing from dust, water, mud and shock.
- Users have been quite impressed with how loud and powerful this speaker is. It offers a great bass range.
- The FUGOO XL is very easy to carry even if it is bigger than its predecessor.
- Some have complained that the speaker takes over a day to charge fully. This makes it slightly inconvenient to use, especially when you cannot find an entire day to charge it.
- There are some issues with the speaker when playing music. The speaker might make some sound in the background, especially at higher volumes.
- There have also been reports of a poorly fit charging port, which might explain issues with charging as the cable might have trouble connecting.
Who Should Use It?
If you are ready to invest some serious money to get the best bang for your buck, you won’t be disappointed with the Beoplay P6.
The B&O Beoplay P6 is constructed beautifully while keeping in mind portability and durability and offers a sound quality of 360 degrees at all types of angles. It has a battery life of 16 hours and can charge within 3 hours. Also, it comes with smart features such as the OneTouch Flex button that allows connectivity with Siri and Google.
- The connectivity on this small speaker can go up to 50 feet without obstacles.
- The speaker has its own app to operate the device.
- Customers report a rich, deep and clear bass that is strong enough to take up an entire room. This sound is all around the speaker and not just concentrated in one spot, which is unique for a compact speaker like the P6.
- Although advertised that it provides 16 hours of battery without interruption, it gives only 8 to 12 hours at best.
- This particular feature has some issues with distance and fails to catch voice even from a few feet away.
- Users have reported that when connected with any Apple device, the sound quality is noticeably better than with any Android product.
Who Should Use It?
Bongo is perfect as a portable speaker, though a bit pricey.
The Bongo is eccentrically designed, handmade from natural bamboo, and offers 360-degree sound accompanied with subwoofers and drivers. It offers connectivity to all brands and works well both outdoors and indoors. It is a light speaker with 15 hours of battery life and a 30-foot wide range for wireless connectivity.
- The unique and quirky construction of the speaker definitely attracts attention as the rustic yet chic device blends in various events.
- It has been reported to offer 8-9 hours of uninterrupted wireless music, which is wonderful for parties and similar occasions.
- Customers have reported using it in various situations, from an upbeat party to the shower and kitchen.
- Although it is not unexpected given the size of the speaker, its bass is weak, so one cannot truly enjoy hard rock or hip hop.
- The Bongo, when put on high volumes, will vibrate hard enough to fall off a flat surface and requires a rubber bottom.
- There have been reports of the sync button malfunctioning.
Who Should Use It?
It provides the best value for money and is perfect for audiophiles.
The OontZ Angle 3 Ultra is presented by Cambridge Soundtracks and offers a wide array of impressive features. It provides 100-foot Bluetooth range (which means a very strong connectivity), 20-hour battery on one charge that makes it perfect for long trips and parties, weather-resistance and enough sound power to give a rich sound quality with a great bass.
- As claimed by the makers, the Angle 3 Ultra is waterproof, so it can be used by the pool and in the shower.
- Due to the heavy bass, the speaker comes with its own set of cushions to keep it from falling off any surface when blasting music.
- It comes through on its promise of long-lasting battery according to most users.
- Some have reported that they might not be getting their money’s worth. The Angle 3 Ultra is not as loud as a speaker of its caliber and size would expected to be. The bass blows out pretty easily.
- There are also complaints in the construction of the speaker. Some say it appears to be flimsy and done without attention to detail.
- Even though the controls stayed, the sound began to lag after a distance of 40 feet.
Who Should Use It?
It is perfect for the adventurous soul that can’t live without music.
This particular speaker is a very portable device. It is super light and easy to fit in travel bags, offers a great battery life for long journeys (50 hours on one charge), and comes with an AUX cable. It also comes with a strong range of about 50 feet which makes it even easier to use. Additionally, it is waterproof (it can float), dustproof and sand-proof, which makes the Lansing ideal for the beach, pool, and golf. It also allows you to connect two speakers wirelessly for an improved experience.
- Customers report that it can block traffic noise even when placed outside, which says wonders about its speaker strength.
- It is indeed waterproof and dust-resistant.
- Some have confessed that it is very strong and hardly anything has been able to damage it.
- The battery life is much less than 50 hours on one charge. In fact, some even say that it is only 20 to 25 hours.
- Unfortunately, connectivity is also an issue as the speaker disconnects after 30 feet, while it claims to go uninterrupted for 50 feet.
- There have been issues with the charging port, which can get loose quite easily, which affects battery life due to improper charging.
Who Should Use It?
It is perfect for anyone looking for just a cheap portable speaker that doesn’t come with any bells and whistles.
One of the cheapest ones available, the TP-Link Speaker is a pocket-sized, extremely durable speaker. For a speaker its size, it claims to have a range of 66 feet, which is very impressive. It comes with Bluetooth 4.0 technology and can be used both indoors and outdoors. The speaker is also equipped with a small rubber handle that allows it to be held in a manner that reduces contact with any surface, allowing the sound to reach far.
- It is extremely easy to carry around and use in a small group as it is pocket sized. It is built well, which aids in the way it is carried.
- Given most speakers its type, this is among the cheaper ones, so it overall offers fair value for money.
- Bluetooth 4.0 makes data transfer faster, so the overall connectivity is quite strong.
- Even though it does not claim it has a large battery life, the speaker only gives 2-3 hours at best from one charge and requires 4 hours of charging. All in all, a weak battery.
- It might not be able to withstand water, dust and sand.
All these speakers offer some of the standard features of Bluetooth speakers. These are all still unique. If you want something for your personal use or something that is economical, the TP-Link would suit you best, but if you are leaning toward a durable speaker, maybe the FUGOO Tough XL might be a better choice for you.
About the author:
Amanda here. Being a full time product reviewer on the net since 2010. Chief Marketing Officer in 100Review. You can find me stumbling in all social medias and looking for new inspiration. Connect me in LinkedIn.